Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

i strongly dislike running...but am open to the possibility of liking it..day #6



Weight: 164 lbs
Goal: 140-145lbs
Difference: 19lbs-24lbs
Distance: 7.0k 1 hour (Ran- 40 minutes/Walk- 20 minutes)

After taking a few days of much needed rest due to a minor injury to my right knee, I woke up this morning anxious to hit the seawall for my now 'usual' Monday run. I knew todays run would be a challenge, for today would be first time I would be running alone. After suiting up (and realizing I left my Ipod at work) I made my way downstairs and began my warm up jaunt down to the seawall. I found myself being more conscious of my breath and the positioning of my joints on top of one another. I stopped at the shore to stretch out my legs and let the little voice in my head get all its 'logical' reasoning (for me not to run) of its chest; No one would know if I walked an extra minute, or if i turned around early, or if i just quit now and go back to bed...after all i am going to do yoga today...i'll eat well...maybe i'll just walk today..

After the 'stories' subsided I started running, with no music and no excuses, just the sound of my breath. As I started my first kilometer I started to notice some familiar faces jogging towards me, most shared that welcoming smile seawall runners seem to have (which I admit made a piece of me feel like I was becoming part of their world). As I continued I started to think about how running was a lot like yoga. I started remembering my first class and how I was confused and watched my body find anyway to make it easier because I was so afraid to challenge myself. I remembered about how once I learned how to breath I became so much lighter. So that's what I did. I treated running like yoga today. I focussed, I smiled, I modified if I needed to but made sure I challenged myself when I could. I set small realistic goals and pushed myself to my limits to get there. I still almost stepped on 3 birds and a squirrel, but more importantly I didn't let that little voice win.

More to come

1 comment:

  1. I love this!!!
    That little voice could surely be the death of your running if you let it, but I'm so happy you didn't...
    And it doesn't go away!!

    And the running community rocks! Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete