Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Making room for possibility


I could never relate to people who were obsessed with money. I remember always observing how associates of mine would either spend frivolously or go the other way and panic that they didn't have enough. I always knew I would never become one of those people. It wasn't until last week when I was sitting down talking to a friend that it dawned on me that I had become one of my worst fears.
I started walking into work- walking into life actually, with a disconnect that I never known I was capable of. After moving to Vancouver, and going through a hard life lesson and an adjustment period which left me in a "less than ideal" financial state something inside me shifted. I began to lose myself a little, the anxiety and sense of panic that often accompanies money troubles benched me. All of a sudden I had gone from being the leading scorer in my life to the kid that sits on the end of the bench hoping the coach doesn't call her name. It didn't stop there, I stopped taking risks, my confidence had plummeted and I was no longer reaching for my goals, nor living a balanced life. I was losing sleep, my appetite and began working through breaks so I wouldn't break down at work.

My good friend pulled me aside and essentially had an intervention. I cried, we laughed, we drank tea and I listened (that's right friends, I shut my mouth long enough to listen). Here's what came out of it:

By letting money consume my life, it was almost like i put blinders on to what was going around me. I was missing my amazing relationship, I was missing the thinks I love about my job, I missed yoga and most of all I had lost that special sparkle that was and is me.

No I haven't won the lottery, in fact I am in no better financial shape today then I was a few days ago (probably a little worse actually). The change is in the possibility. I have stopped living in that feeling of fear. I had to. There was no room for the possibility of anything bigger or better by living that way. I wasn't put on this earth to be a shell. I am here to inspire, coach, create and change and as long as I keep do that...and living in that nothing but greatness can happen.

The possibilities are endless when we decide to act and not react. It is important not to live in limitations, our participation in life is what creates and grows opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment